Pet Advice Toxins-that-poison-pets

Published on April 4th, 2014 | by Debbie Martin

1

What are the Most Frequent Toxins that Poison Pets?

Many pet owners don’t realise that a lot of the substances around their home could be very dangerous and potentially poison pets if eaten. Curious cats and dogs are known for eating things they shouldn’t, so it is important to keep dangerous toxins out of their reach in order to reduce their risk. There are many things that can poison your pets, from obvious substances like household cleaners and human medications to less obvious dangers like chocolate and grapes.

So what are the most dangerous items in your home? Here are a few of the top most toxic substances that you should keep away from your pets, according to Pet Poison Helpline.

  • chocolateChocolate – Dogs and cats should not eat chocolate, as they are not able to metabolise the alkaloid theobromine that it contains. Dark chocolate is especially dangerous, so make sure that you keep it hidden away.
  • Xylitol – This is an artificial sweetener which is found in sugar-free candy and gum. It is very dangerous for dogs and can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar and liver failure.
  • Lilies – If you have cats, avoid having any plants in your home which are in the Lilium species, such as Easter Lillies, Tiger Lillies and Asiatic Lillies. If your cats chew on them, they could get very sick!
  • Household Cleaners – These substances are dangerous for both cats and dogs, so make sure that they are safely put away in a locked cabinet.
  • Antidepressants – Strangely, cats seem drawn to anti-depressant medication – which can cause them serious cardiac and neurological side effects. Make sure that you hide all anti-depressant medication in a locked cabinet away from your pets.
  • Cold, cough and allergy medications – These can be very dangerous for your pet – especially those that contain acetaminophen. The symptoms can include damage to the red blood cells and severe liver failure – so avoid letting your pets find these dangerous substances!
  • grapesGrapes and raisins – You might thing that these delicious and healthy fruits are harmless, but the truth is that they can cause kidney damage in dogs.
  • Ibuprofen – Found in products like Advil and Motrin, these drugs can be very dangerous for both dogs and cats. They will not metabolise the drugs very well and this can result in kidney failure and stomach ulcers. Make sure that you keep all medication out of reach of your pets.
  • Glucosamine Joint Supplements – If your pet ingests these, they will likely experience severe diarrhoea. Also, in serious cases there could be a risk of developing liver failure.
  • Flea and Tick Products – If they are ingested, these products can be very dangerous to your pet’s health. In cats especially, flea and tick products designed for dogs can cause tremors and seizures which can be deadly to them.

These are just a few of the most dangerous household substances that can be very hazardous to the health of your pets. Make sure that you keep these substances away from your pets, so that you can make sure that they will not accidentally be poisoned.

Tags: , , , , ,


About the Author

Debbie Martin has worked at Beeston Animal Health for over five years, having previously worked as a nurse in equine and small animal practice. Although generally involved with aspects of marketing these days and putting her psychology degree to good use, she still has a great depth of up to date knowledge in all creatures great and small. Debbie lives at home with her partner and two children and spends much of her spare time looking after her horses, dogs and cats or at the home farm with the cows, sheep and turkeys.



One Response to What are the Most Frequent Toxins that Poison Pets?

  1. Sue Burgess says:

    Interesting as my dog always has a reaction after her flea treatment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑

Shares