Published on July 18th, 2014 | by Debbie Martin0
Human Foods that Are Dangerous for Your Cat
Did you know that many of the foods that humans eat can actually be poisonous for your cat if he or she gets into them? Usually a cat will be more sensible than a dog when it comes to eating strange things. However there are still a few things that your cat should not eat, so make sure they are out of bounds!
There are a number of human foods that are not suitable for your cat to eat and can cause loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea and much more. Some foods can be very serious and can make your cat extremely ill. Many people are not aware of which foods are dangerous for their pets.
Here are some of the foods and drinks that you should always keep out of reach of your cat:
Even having a small amount of alcohol is very bad for your cat. It can cause brain damage and serious harm to the liver, even if your cat has only a tablespoon. Don’t leave alcohol unattended in a place where your cat would be able to drink it. If you spill alcohol on the floor, clean it up before your cat starts licking at the puddle!
Although it is a delicious treat for humans, chocolate is a dangerous substance for cats and dogs because it contains a substance called theobromine. This substance is easily digested by humans but it is toxic to pets and it can cause muscle tremors, seizures or heart problems. The caffeine in chocolate is also not very good for your cat. Make sure that you keep all chocolate far away from the cat – especially dark chocolate or unsweetened cooking chocolate.
Coffee, Energy Drinks, Tea
These drinks are high in caffeine, which makes them very harmful to your cat. If your cat ingests caffeine it can experience heart palpitations, muscle tremors, rapid breathing and much more. Keep these drinks away from your cat in order to keep them safe.
Most people don’t realise that many cats are actually lactose intolerant and they cannot eat dairy products because they can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Although you might see cats in the cartoons drinking bowls of milk, this is not something you should do with your cat in real life.
Raw Meat, Fat Trimmings, Raw Fish, Raw Eggs
You should avoid giving your cat these things, because there is a risk of E Coli or Salmonella associated with eating these raw foods. These foods can also cause diarrhoea, vomiting or a painful condition called pancreatitis from the excess fat.
An important rule to follow is that if you wouldn’t eat it raw, you probably shouldn’t feed it to your cat raw. If you want to give your cat a treat, give them a treat that is designed to be eaten by cats instead.
Grapes and Raisins
Usually grapes and raisins are a problem for dogs because they are more likely to eat them and they can cause serious kidney failure. It is a good idea not to risk the health of your cat by letting him eat these fruits either.
Garlic and Onions
Did you know that onions and garlic can cause problems in your cat if they are eaten in large quantities? A little bit of onion or garlic in sauce is not a cause for alarm, but if your cat eats a clove of garlic or a piece of onion they can suffer from digestive upset. If they eat onion on a regular basis, this can cause anaemia.
Contrary to popular belief, cats really shouldn’t eat tuna. It can cause digestive upset and it also sometimes leads to a dangerous condition called steatitis. This is when the body’s fat becomes inflamed when the cat eats tuna on a regular basis.
This is an artificial sweetener that is used in many different sugar-free foods, such as chewing gum. There are no studies of how this product affects cats, but when dogs ingest it they suffer from a serious drop in blood sugar which can cause convulsions, seizures, liver failure and even death. It is a good idea to be safe and keep this substance away from your cat as well.
What to Do If Your Cat Eats Any of the Above
All of the human foods above are fine for humans to eat, but they will make your cat very sick. If you think that your cat has eaten anything from the list above, you should immediately contact your vet. Try to figure out how much the cat has eaten, so that you can pass the information along. In some cases there might not be a problem if there was a very small amount consumed, but if it was a large quantity and they are already showing signs of discomfort they will likely require treatment.
If your vet tells you to, you should take your cat immediately into see them as they will need to give your feline some supportive treatment until the symptoms of the poisoning are resolved. This might include intravenous fluids, hospitalization and blood tests that will help to monitor organ function.
How to Prevent This
Of course the most important thing is to keep these foods away from your pet. You should keep your food in high cabinets with doors that your cats cannot open, or in your fridge. Be careful when leaving your food on the table or the kitchen counter where your cat can jump up and access it.
You can give your cat treats that are designed specifically for them, but they should only be given as a treat or a reward. If you give them out too frequently you can cause your cat to become overweight, which results in a number of other health problems!
These are just a few important tips that you should keep in mind in order to keep your cat from being poisoned by our food. Protect the health of your furry feline friend, so that they can lead a long and happy life!